I am going to be honest here I am slightly disappointed with my lack of cravings. I have been thinking about certain foods a lot more lately but nothing like I imagined cravings would be and everything I seem to be thinking about is pretty boring. When I first found out I was pregnant I was imagining I would have crazy cravings for pickles dipped in ice cream or nutella and peanut butter sandwiches but alas I have had nothing like that.
Today I have had a mini “craving” I have been thinking about a nice big bowl of garlic mashed potatoes with home made peppercorn gravy so that is what we are having for dinner tonight. Now before we get to the recipe I have struggled to find a vegan gravy recipe that doesn’t contain
the worst ingredient ever in the world mushrooms, so I spent a few days trialing gravies and I think I may have found the holy grail for mushroom-less vegan gravy.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom-less Peppercorn Gravy
A super easy side dish that can be eaten as a mid week dinner.
- MASHED POTATOES
- 500g russet potatoes, peeled
- 500g cauliflower, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk plus more to thin as desired
- 1 Tbsp Nuttlex (vegan butter)
- salt & pepper to taste
- chives, sliced for garnish MUSHROOM-LESS PEPPERCORN GRAVY
- 1/4 cup Nuttlex (vegan butter)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 Tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp peppercorns, drained
- 1½ Cups vegan beef stock (or vegetable stock) plus more to thin as desired
- MUSHROOM-LESS PEPPERCORN GRAVY
- In a large pan on medium heat place chopped onions and nuttlex then cook until the onions are golden brown and have begun to caramelize.
- Whisk in flour and cook for around 1 minute or until a paste has formed.
- Slowly whisk in beef stock tablespoon by tablespoon until the mixture begins to thin and turn into a sauce, if its still too thick add more until you reach desired texture.
- Add in peppercorns and Dijon mustard and stir for around 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and either serve immediately or store in air tight container. MASHED POTATOES
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- In a large pot on medium high heat boil potatoes and cauliflower for around 10 minutes or until soft.
- Place garlic on a large aluminum square, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper then fold aluminum square over to form a tight ball around the garlic and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain potatoes and cauliflower then using a ricer, crush the potatoes and cauliflower back into the large pot. (Off the heat)
- Place large pot back on a low heat then add the roasted garlic cloves, nuttlex, salt and pepper and mix until everything is combine.
- Slowly add the almond milk, stirring continuously until the potato mixture becomes smooth, if its still too thick add more until you reach desired texture.
- Serve evenly between 4 – 6 bowls, top with chives and gravy.
Well there you have my Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Mushroom-less Peppercorn Gravy, its a bit of a mouthful to say but trust me it tastes amazing and the gravy is quite strong. I will certainly be using this recipe again at Christmas time for the annual family feast.
What do you think about Mushrooms, are they the worst vegetable in the world?
Do you have a mushroom-less gravy or a great mashed potato recipe you think would satisfy my craving?
Did you have any crazy cravings whilst pregnant?