I have been wanting to cook with orzo lately, I haven’t had it in years but I remember having a lemony rice and chicken dish using orzo so I thought I might try my hand at recreating it. This dish is of course completely vegan and created from memory only.
Now while lemony rice sounds nice I wanted it to be a little more substantial and pack some protein as I have been feeling pretty tired lately so I halved the orzo and added quinoa.
This recipe took no time at all, I love coming home throwing something into a pot quickly and then unwinding so it has that going for it and it made the house smell delicious but its not the prettiest dish I have ever made. Dylan kept stealing spoonfuls as he was walking past, I know its a good dish when I don’t have to beg him to try it.
Lemon 'Chicken' Pilaf
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 Litre vegan chicken stock (can substitute for vegetable stock)
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- pepper, to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ cup quinoa, washed
- juice from 1 large lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ cup orzo
- 1 teaspoon chives
- In large pot, saute onion, carrot and celery with 1 tbsp of water until the begin to soften.
- Pour in chicken stock, tarragon, pepper and bay leaves.
- Bring to boil, pour in quinoa and orzo reduce heat to simmer and cook 30 minutes or until all stock is absorbed.
- Remove pot from the stove, stir in lemon juice, zest then serve immediately with chopped chives for garnish.
As you can see the recipe is pretty full proof, I just chucked all the ingredients in the pot then went and had a shower. No worries and perfect for a Monday night after a horribly stressful day.
What do you think of my orzo recipe?
Do you have any recipes I should try?