Lets be honest here, every vegan blog out there has a stock standard Pasta Alfredo recipe for the simple reasons:
A. Its easy to cook
B. Pasta is everything
C. Cauliflower really is a wonder veggie.
I love my recipe just as much as the next blogger but I feel that it is a little sad on its own which is why I have made these amazing and super easy Garlic Bread Sticks to go with it, I doubt I will ever be able to make pasta again with out them they are just that easy and delicious.
My Pasta Alfredo is also a little more veggiefied than the traditional, I love pasta and sauce but sometimes you just need to throw a few extra vegetables in the mix for fun (and crunch).
Pasta Alfredo with Garlic Bread Sticks
- ½ tsp quick rising yeast
- ⅓ cup warm water
- ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cauliflower
- 1 zucchini
- ½ broccoli
- a handful of green beans
- 1 bunch asparagus
- ⅓ cup soy or almond milk
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ brown onion
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 120 grams dry spaghetti (enough for two people)
- pepper for seasoning
- In a bowl add the warm water, brown sugar and yeast then let sit for 10 minutes, it should begin to create a light foam as the yeast eats the sugar.
- In a larger bowl add the flour and salt then form a small well in the middle and pour in the water mixture. Stir the mixture until everything has combined and then knead the dough until it is smooth and has a elastic consistency.
- Divide the dough into 2 balls and then roll each out into a bread stick shape and place on a lined baking tray and leave the dough to rise for an hour.
- In a bowl mix 1 clove of crushed garlic, Italian seasoning and 1/2 tsp of olive oil to combined and set aside.
- When the dough has almost finished rising and has around 25 minutes left place a pot of water on the stove, bring to the boil and add the spaghetti, chopped broccoli, green beans and asparagus then leave to cook al dente, drain the pasta and cover in cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Place a large pan on a medium heat then add 1 clove of crushed garlic, brown onion diced and 1 tsp of olive oil and stir until golden brown.
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Add to the garlic and onion mixture soy/almond milk, diced cauliflower and salt and pepper then bring to the boil and reduce to simmer for 10 minutes or until cauliflower is soft and falling apart.
- Leave the sauce to cool for a few minutes then transfer to a blender, add nutritional yeast and lemon juice then blend till smooth.
- Brush the garlic, olive oil and Italian seasoning from step 4 over the bread stick dough then place into the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Return the sauce to the pan, add the drained pasta, vegetables and chopped zucchini, stir everything together and warm.
- Serve the pasta with garlic bread sticks.
*Technically this is two recipes rolled up into one and I created them step by step to minimize wasted time but you could very easily cook either by themselves, for that reason I have put the Pasta Alfredo recipe in bold and kept the Garlic Bread Stick recipe regular.
I will be making my Pesto Bread Stick recipe again and posting it soon which will also contain my standard bread stick recipe and maybe a few others as well so if you are all about bread sticks then stick around (see what I did there).
Let me know what you think of this recipe and if you give it a go.
Do you have and stock standard vegan recipes I need to try?