As I said in my Crispy tofu recipe I recently discovered a love for tofu so I have been searching pinterest for tofu recipes and then playing around with them to make them fast, easy and as super tasty as possible.
I have also being trying to fiddle with recipes to reduce the amount of steps and mess they make as I am already a messy cook so if I can reduce the amount of dishes I need to use and the extra amount of mess I will create from just making the recipe then I am more likely to make it again.
Honestly half my life is cleaning up the mess I make in the kitchen, a recipe may say 1 hour but then it will take me another 2 to clean up so when I say 1 hour cooking time I have also included the cleaning up to!
Taking all of that into account I have created my Tofu Fried Rice
Tofu Fried Rice
- 1½ cups uncooked rice
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- Spring Onions
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp mirin
- 2 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1½ tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp sriracha sauce
Before you do anything remove the tofu from packet, set out on absorbent paper towel and place a plate over the top then leave for 20 minutes to squeeze out any extra moisture in the Tofu.
- Cook rice in rice cooker or on stove using the ratio 1 cup of rice to 2 cups water.
- Crumble the drained tofu into small pieces.
- Add in the turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt, onion powder, and pepper to the tofu and mix well.
- In a small bowl add tamari, sesame oil, mirin, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar and sriracha then whisk to combine.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute or so, or until the garlic has browned lightly.
- Add in the tofu mixture and cook for about 5-7 minutes, then add in the carrots, the rice and then sauce mixture.
- Mix everything together very well, and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture between 4 to 6 bowls top with a sprinkling of diced spring onion and a little extra sriracha if decided.
This recipe was super fun to create and even though I have never enjoyed fried rice before, I finally found a recipe I enjoyed. I do want to play around with this recipe and tweak it to include more veggies next time its just I only had carrots on hand.
What do you think of my tofu fried rice?
Do you have a recipe I should try?